11/9/10

My Third Voyage

     I've prepared for my third voyage for some time now. This time Lancelot Thirkill, Thomas Bradley, and John Cair will accompany me on my journey. We had left from Bristol with five ships this time. We were hoping to take all the goods in the ships and trade them to the people of the New World. This would bring enormous profits to England. When we were on our journey, we were hit by a terrible storm. This left only Lancelot Thirkill and I alive. We ended up back at Bristol. The others did not make it since their ships were lost at sea. I was torn. Not only did I lose my crew, but I felt like I lost my pride. I was ready to go out to sea, but my hopes were crushed. I lost more than I gained. I had let down England when they gave me a chance. But, it was not my fault right? I mean the storm was probably the main cause for this disaster. I still don't know why I feel like it is all my fault. I don't think I can carry on with more expeditions. I am greatly depressed right now.


Sources:

2 comments:

  1. Ah, unfortunately, I guess the quote "third time is the charm" does not apply to you.
    I'm deeply sorry that this voyage did not turn out like you had hoped. However, on the bright side, I am glad to hear that you survived that cursed storm, unlike the rest of your crewmates.
    I do agree with your opinion that the storm was the main cause of this problem. But, no need to dwell on that. I'd like to focus on where you said that you don't think that you'd like to make any voyages.
    Son, England needs you. Had you not sailed for that, I would have gladly commissioned you. You have a good head on your shoulders and a true affinity for navigating. Do not let this little accident disrupt your true calling. The best is still to come. Nonetheless, I do wish you the best of luck, and hope you continue with your voyages.
    Until later,
    Henry of Navarre

    ReplyDelete
  2. My most sincere condolences to you, John Cabot. After reading about your first voyage, I hoping that your third one would be much better. But don't let unsuccessful voyages stop you from pursuing your dream. There will be many more opportunities for you to make amazing discoveries. I would like to wish you the best of luck, John Cabot. Wish me luck as well, for tomorrow, I take Malacca!
    Sincerely,
    Afonso de Albuquerque
    Naval General Officer, Portugal

    ReplyDelete